Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What is Your One Thing?

I was driving down the road with my youngest son seating in the front passenger seat. If you were to meet Noah you might say he's shy but if you're alone with Noah you find out pretty quickly that he isn't shy. From the time he got in the car and I asked "how's school today?" it was non-stop talking on his part. He had all of my attention to himself.
A break of silence and than a question came, "Mom if you could do anything in the whole world what would you do?" I really had to think ...there was a long pause in the car. "Let me think about that Noah."
I have a question for you....What is your One Thing? Paul David Tripp posts this question in his book, "A Shelter in the Time of Storm". Paul David Tripp asks, What is the the one thing that your heart craves? What is the one thing that you think would change your life? What is the one thing that you look to for satisfaction, contentment, or peace? What is the one thing that fills your daydreams and commands your sleepy meditations?

Matthew 6:21 says, "for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Paul David Tripp states, "The spiritual reality for many of us is that the one thing is not the Lord. And the danger in that reality is this: your one thing will control your heart, and whatever controls your heart will exercise inescapable influence over your words, choices, and actions. Your one thing will become that which shapes and directs your responses of the situations and relationships of your daily life. If the Lord isn't your one thing, the thing that is your one thing will be your functional lord.
Here is what you say to yourself when something is your one thing: 'Life has meaning and I have worth only if I have _____________ in my life.' The problem is that the one-thing catalog is virtually endless."

What do you think is on this endless list...let's see! Power, Approval, Comfort, Image, Control, Dependence (someone there to keep you safe), Independence, Inclusion (if a particular social or professional group lets me into their inner ring), Achievement, Prosperity, Work, Religion (if I'm adhering to my religion's codes and accomplished in its activities), Irreligious (totally independent of organized religion and have a self made morality), A person, Family, Helping & Suffering.

Paul David Tripp shares, "in every situation and relationship of your everyday life, there is one-thing war being fought on the turf of your heart. You and I are safe only when the Lord really is the one thing that commands our hearts and controls our actions. There are many things that compete with HIM as the one thing that your heart craves."

As we came around the corner of our home, Noah couldn't stand the silence any longer and had to tell me the answer to his question for him. "Mom, I would invent wings like a bird so I could fly!" I didn't come up with an answer to Noah's question. I wished that I could of answered like King David did in Psalm 27:4, "One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in his temple." King David was known as a man after God's own heart. We know that he wasn't a perfect man by no means but the one thing that he did know and kept in the right perspective was that he was a sinner in need of a His God. He had the right perspective of who he was and who God is. I hope that one day I would be known as a "Woman after God's own heart." Until than I will fight the idols that wage war after my heart and seek after the One Thing - Jesus My Groom.